Rugby Second

Life first

Thursday, November 03, 2005

England Squad

Andy Robinson has put forward his final 22 for the Autumn internationals. Following my last comments on the squad I thought I would compare my original predictions to his squad.

Props
Sheridan, Stevens and Vickery
This is the same three I picked originally. I expect Stevens to be on the bench and come for Vickery at the hour mark.

Hookers
Thompson and Mears
I originally had a third hooker in Titterell, I would have probably left out Thompson from the three. I hope Robinson goes for Mears to start but I don't expect it.

Second Row
Grewcock, Borthwick and Deacon
Palmer and Hooper have had no form, Shaw is injured as is Brown who was becoming the in form candidate. Grewcock has been in outstanding form, so although I did not pick him initially I think he now deserves a place. I would also pick Jones in the second row, but Robinson seems to have him inked in for the back row. I am sure Deacon will be on the bench.

Back Row
Moody, Corry, Jones, Sanderson
Rees lost out due to injury and did not get a chance to regain form before this selection, but I still expect him to rejoin the squad at some point. I expect Sanderson to be on the bench.

Scrum Half
Ellis and Dawson
Richards is the man to loose out, probably because he has not had the tough games the others have had recently. I think all three players are playing badly, but Dawson is the least worst and will start.

Fly Half
Hodgson and Barkley
Wilkinson is making a good comeback but for the benefit of all he will been ignored until the new year. Hodgson will get the start but surprisingly Goode has lost out to Barkley. I am guessing Barkley will be offering three covering options from the bench, fly-half, kicker and inside centre.

Centre
Tindall and Noon
This is the area I think Robinson has gone wrong, as you would expect when he picks none of the three I had. I expect to see Tindall at inside and Noon outside. It could be the other way round or Barkley could start in the centre with either of these two missing out. Anything is possible with Robinson now, perhaps Jones will move from the second row to provide speed to complement Tindall's bludgeon!

Back Three
Cueto, Cohen, Lewsey and van Gisbergen
I have lost Voyce and Simpson-Daniel who are creative players, and been given Cohen who is a bit more direct. With three kickers in the squad I expect van Gisbergen to start, with Cohen on the bench, although I would prefer it the other way round. It is possible Barkley will start in the centre and van Gisbergen to be on the bench but I am expecting otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home